Sunday, November 21, 2010

All that I have...isn't enough

I am keenly aware that all I have isn't enough. My resources cannot satisfy. I will never provide the perfect parenting for my children. I will never be the perfect wife for my husband. I will never make enough money, or do a perfect job at work. I will always come up short, no matter how hard I try.

Somewhere in all the inadequacies, I find deep peace and contentment. I know that God will fill in the void. He will come to my rescue over and over and over again. He will provide what is lacking in my life, whatever it may be. There is a fantastic illustration of this in the gospel of Matthew. Matthew 15: 32-38 tells the story of Jesus feeding the 4000 people who had come for healing.

It reads, "And Jesus called His disciples to Him and said, '...I do not want to send them away hungry, for they might faint on the way.' The disciples said to Him, 'Where would we get so many loaves in this desolate place to satisfy such a large crowd?' and Jesus said to then, 'How many loaves do you have?'" Then in verse 37 the gospel says, "And they ate and were satisfied, and they picked up what was left over of the broken pieces, seven large baskets full."

These few verses hold so much promise for us. I stand amazed! First, Jesus' compassion didn't end with healing all that ailed the people, He wanted to feed them too. Lord, may we be a people who want to walk people into healing and meet their basic physical needs too.

Second, Jesus uses what we have. The disciples had a mere picnic for 2: 7 loaves of bread and few fish. God will use what we have--all that we have. Here's the best part: what we have...isn't enough. What a merciful God who fills in the gaps. It was obvious that 7 loaves of bread and a few fish weren't going to feed 4,000 people.

Third, God wants to partner with us. Jesus, didn't just conjure up the entire dinner on His own. No, He used what the disciples had and added to it.  He wants to use us and the gifts that He has given us. He isn't going to let our contribution go to waste and do it all Himself. He wants us to partake in what He is doing.

Lastly, He brings the satisfaction. What I have to contribute won't satisfy.  I will always find lack in me. Ahhh, but the God of the Universe will provide for the lack. He will gladly add to what I bring to the table and I will walk away satisfied. You will walk away satisfied--full of His goodness, full of His strength, full of His love.

No comments:

Post a Comment