Thursday, December 2, 2010

Sweetest Thing





I have tried to sit down and study the book of Ezekiel a few times. Seriously, I just don't get a lot of it. I will read and reread passages and look up to heaven like a deer caught in the headlights...clueless. Well, a few weeks ago I was prompted to read the first 3 chapters of Ezekiel. I wasn't super excited about this since it is a difficult book for me.

"Alright Lord...You want me to read this then You better show me what You want me to learn," was my hasty beginning prayer. Like He needs me to throw this threat up to Him. Oh my! Then I started reading and guess what?! I was lost by verse 5. So I finished reading what I was supposed to read and sat there a little dazed.

Since then, I have pieced this passage together with other similar passages in the Bible such as Psalm 119:103, Daniel 8-10, Revelation 4 & 10, Isaiah 6, etc... but still needed to chew on what God was saying to me. Why was He bringing me to Ezekiel 1-3? What was in this passage that He wanted to show me?

So this morning, Ezekiel's perplexing heavenly vision and assignment from the Lord came back into my mind. I opened the Scriptures and reread this passage. To better grasp what I was reading, I drew a picture of the vision on a piece of paper. Then realized it wasn't in the scenery. God wasn't showing me something about the creatures or the wheels. (curious to read the passage yet?) I pressed onward in prayer.

God was showing me something about the assignment He gave to Ezekiel. There is something to eating the scrolls and having the mourning that was written on them taste as sweet as honey, (Ez.3:3). There is something to opening our mouths, chewing, and ingesting the sweetness of the Word of God. There is a transformation that occurs when we allow the Word of God to penetrate our heart and fill our body.

These words can pierce us and cause us discomfort. Simultaneously, they bring a sweet freedom to our soul.  There is a sweet pain associated with healing. The Spirit will use the scripture to root out those lies from the enemy we have believed. He will also use the scripture as a balm to cover us.

There is something to the Word of God sustaining our life. We must be rooted in the Word, for our fruit to be pleasing to Him. We must allow the Spirit to nourish us with Truth. We must take His Word to our heart and all that we say or do is an outward expression of our primary covenant relationship with Him. It may cause our stomach to be bitter at times while our appetites are changing, but it will be as sweet as honey in our mouth and we will be free.

Scriptures for mediation: Ezekiel 2:8-3:3; Psalm 119:103; Revelation 10:2,8; Matthew 15:17-19

No comments:

Post a Comment