Saturday, January 22, 2011

Considering It Pure Joy



"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete not lacking anything." (James 1:2-3)

Our natural tendency is to apply scriptures like the James verses mentioned above to ourselves--to our own  life.  But I want to take this verse one step further beyond us. Can you see this verse applied to your spouse's life, your parent's life, or what about even your children's lives? We don't seem to think of our children's trials as beneficial to their spiritual lives. Instead we try to intervene, we try to make things easier for them.

This world is fallen. Not only did man spiritually die the day Adam and Eve rebelliously ate what wasn't theirs to eat, but the earth and all its inhabitants suffered as well. Consequently, there is sickness, there is sin, there is death for us as well as our children.

We have a child who has some ailments. A year and a half ago, I spent a great deal of time crying, begging God to heal her. I felt helpless. My hands were tied and I couldn't save her. I couldn't spare her from what she was going through. "Why?" came to my mind frequently.

The Lord listened to the cries of this mother's heart. I felt His strong arms carrying me through those deep waters. I knew His strong arms were carrying her as well. One thing He spoke to my heart was that she was His daughter first and foremost. I was her earthly mother. I was chosen to raise her up. I was chosen to teach her His ways, His precepts, His love. At the end of my time with her, God would be with her. He is with her always.

God will guide her through the trials. Even her trials are considered pure joy. He is maturing her. How dare I try to intervene in her maturing process. How dare I try to take away her testimony of God's faithfulness in her life. How dare I try to take away a stone of remembrance.

In the book of Joshua there is an account of the Priests carrying 12 stones from the Jordan River. Each stone symbolized one of the tribes of Israel. Joshua had the Priests lay the stones down together. He then gave the orders that when their children asked what these stones were, the people would tell the story of God's faithfulness as they traveled across the Jordan River on dry ground just as they had crossed the Red Sea on dry ground.

Joshua concludes his speech in chapter 4 by saying, "that all the peoples of the earth may know that the hand of the Lord is mighty, so that you may fear the Lord your God forever."

As we travel through this life, all of us--even our children--we are given stones in the form of trials. As the time comes to set those stones down, we can say that we have seen the mighty hand of the Savior. Then we can look back over those stones in years to come and know that the Lord has been faithful.

This last year and a half has been peaceful. Of course, there have been times of frustration. I have still asked "why" from time to time. Regardless of my emotions, I know that God is protecting and providing for my child. I can step back in confidence and know that her journey is sweet and the Father is walking with her every step of the way. One day, she will look back at this season and see God's faithfulness.

Go in peace today, knowing that He has you. He has your children and your spouse and your parents. Regardless of the outcome, God will be glorified. He will be remembered as a faithful God. Healing always comes. It may not look how we think it should, but healing always comes.



No comments:

Post a Comment