Thursday, February 10, 2011

Discernment



Oh Friends, I have to tell you what I saw on TV the other day. I had to blink a few times to make sure it was for real.  Ok, I saw a homeshow on a PBS channel. You know the shows that have various homemaking segments such as decorating, cooking, etc...Well, this show was all about preparing for a dinner party with limited preperation time. So, the segment I caught was "cleaning up" for the party.

The host talked about how to throw dirty dishes in a big bowl or pan and put them in the oven or cabinet. Then she talked about  spraying some sort of house cleaner right in front of the front door so when the guests arrive they get a whiff of cleaner and they will have the perception that the house is clean even though it isn't. She ended the segment by saying "perception is truth".

To which I say, "No."  The truth is: your house is dirty, there are even dirty dishes hiding in your oven. The lie is: the house is clean--see your nose even thinks so.

Our senses will lie to us. They will perceive that the house is clean when it really isn't. They will see things and smell things that aren't truths. This is why the Bible is vital to our spiritual growth. Without the foundation of the Word of God, our senses and/or our emotions can lead us into a dirty home when we think that it is clean. We will be tricked.

Friends, know the Truth. Know the still small voice of the Spirit. Sit with Him and listen to Him speaking. Then, when you go into someone's house (i.e. read a book, hear a teaching, etc...) you will be able to distinguish if the house is clean or dirty.

1 comment:

  1. WOW!!!! Great post!!!!!!!!! I ran into Nikki Haines at the YMCA today and she told me you had a blog. Somehow I missed your facebook posts that directed people to this site. What great stories I have read so far! You're good. ;)

    ReplyDelete