Thursday, February 3, 2011

Cain and the Elder Brother

I've read the account of Cain and Abel found in Genesis 4 dozens of times. Every time, I come to the same conclusion: Why didn't God accept Cain's offering? He was after all the "tiller of the ground". He wasn't the one with the animals just the barley. He offered up his offering before his brother. How could he have known that God only accepted a blood sacrifice?

Hebrews 11 says that Abel had faith. Where does that leave Cain? If Cain didn't have any faith, why would he give a sacrifice in the first place? Surely, he had the same conviction in his heart to sacrifice that Abel did.

This morning I was reading this account again and asking the Lord these questions again. This time, the Spirit gently moved me from Cain and Abel to the parable of the man with two sons often referred to the Parable of the Prodigal Son found in Luke 15. Reading the section about the elder son in correlation to Cain who was an elder son brought new light into the rejection of Cain's sacrifice.

See Cain and the elder son did what was supposed to be done. Their actions showed a loyal heart dedicated to the Lord, but their hearts were full of pride beating selfish thoughts which eventually manifested in anger. The elder brother upon hearing that his younger brother had been loved unconditionally said to their father, "Look! For so many years I have been serving you and I have never neglected a command of yours; and yet you have never given me..." You get the picture.

The elder brother's service to his father was very self righteous. Essentially, he said, "Look at all I have done for you and yet you don't reward my good behavior." This sounds pretty similar to what Cain was feeling. He offers a sacrifice and yet it isn't accepted. All this good behavior and it goes unappreciated.

Cain's prideful heart cannot master the sin that is crouching, desiring to overtake him which eventually will lead to death. God warns Cain of the condition of his heart and yet Cain cannot humble himself. His heart is far from the Father--even with good works--he is far from the Father. Soon Cain is overtaken by his lustful desire and he kills his brother.

Cain separated himself from God and wouldn't allow the Lord to teach him because he had hardened his heart with his own evil desires. We must remain soft and pliable by the Master potter. We must be humble to allow Him to teach us. Likewise, the elder brother was separated from his father by his prideful heart. He wouldn't bend to the will of the father but rather was focused on himself unable to mature in his father's ways.



Seeing Cain and the elder brother together like this brings me to my knees. Oh Lord, examine my heart. Root out any pride that you find there. May I decrease so that You may increase. I want to love what you love and who you love. May my actions only be an outgrowth of my intimate walk with you. I don't want hollow behaviors.

No comments:

Post a Comment