Saturday, February 26, 2011

Running Home



There is a nasty sin that just wouldn't go away in my life. It was consuming my thought life and I was miserable. I had tried everything I knew--gone to support meetings, asked for prayer, changed my habits. Inevitably this thing would cycle back around and I would again try to control it unsuccessfully.

Until the day my husband said, "What if you just didn't think about it anymore?"

Seriously? Did he just say that? My mind began the rebuttal, "Really? You think it is that simple? Like THAT is going to work!"

After some time chewing on what he said, I realized it is that simple. Paul says in Philippians 4:8, "Finally brethren [and sisteren ;)] whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things."

The "whatever" Paul is talking about must be heavenly. This world isn't true, honorable, right, pure, lovely, etc... So, how does that practically look in daily life? Well for me, when this sin cycles back around, I run Home. I run to the Holy of Holies and sit at my Father's feet in worship. I fill my home with worship music and I set my mind on the things above.

By posturing myself this way, it takes me out of the fight. Now the battle is between this sin and my Protector. He will cover me. He will guard me. He will let me continue in sabbath rest while He gets rid of this sin.

Now, I no longer bow to this sin in my life. I don't try to fight my flesh in my flesh. I don't do it anymore on my own. I now allow God to stand in the gap. Romans 6:17-18 says, "But thanks be to God that though you were slaves of sin, you became obedient from the heart to that form of teaching to which you were committed, and having been freed from sin, you became slaves of righteousness."

The more I run to the Father's arms and ask Him to fight for me, the less the temptation is to fall back into that sin pattern.

What is it that you are struggling with? What sin keeps cycling back into your life that you just can't shake on your own? Run to the Father. Run Home to the Holy of Holies. Set your mind on the things of Heaven and the stuff of earth with fade away.  He is big. He is strong. He will take care of this pest for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment