Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Igniting Passions and Fueling Interests

This is my theme as a home school teacher this summer. I want to show the children the world in such a way that their imaginations will be awakened and will leap off the pages of the text books they have been studying this past school year. I want them to begin to critically think of questions to ask concerning various topics in all academic disciplines.

My 6th grader's favorite reply is, "I don't know" or " I don't care" when I ask him what he liked most or least about what we read or studied. My desire is to give him a courageous foundation in which he can express his opinion with confidence.  I want to show him that his place is important and he has a perspective that needs to be heard.

To begin this adventure, he and I will study comic books for literature class this summer. He loves superheroes. How fitting that he research the history and plot lines of various comic books. Today we came up with several research questions from "why do superheroes have aliases?" to "what role does the setting play in the story line?" See, we think that a city scape is necessary for Spiderman. He needs all those high buildings to swing his webs from.

I'm looking forward to a great summer full of superheroes!

No comments:

Post a Comment